Friday, August 21, 2009

Forget Rubio

It's a shame how far the Timberwolves have fallen over the past few years. From near conference champions to offering ticket prices based on how the lottery goes. It didn't go very well this year, but thank heavens for Memphis and Sacramento's managers/owners sucking even more than the 'Wolves', because Ricky Rubio managed to fall to number 5. And then we took another point guard. I'm beginning to think that it wasn't such a bad thing.

If Rubio ends up playing in the NBA this season it'll just be icing on the cake, and will only make Rambis' job more difficult in dividing the minutes between Ricky and Johnny Flynn. I personally wouldn't mind if Ricky stayed in Europe for a year or even two, because I'm into Flynn.

I can't pretend to be an astute basketball mind. What I've seen of either player does not create equal footing for both:
-Rubio: A youtube highlight reel
-Flynn: The six overtime game, nba summer league
Regardless, it was on draft night that my first impressions were made, and nothing that's happened since then has changed them. Rubio's name was called, and he could barely manage a smile. He did not look happy. Whether this was due to his fall in the draft and the ensuing buyout complications, or because of the team that drafted him, I can't tell, but I don't care. Johnny Flynn couldn't stop beaming when he was drafted. He looked like a young man appreciative of where he was, not the snotty teenager who couldn't wait to go back to Spain.

Until Flynn completely bottoms out in a real NBA game, I'll continue to keep this irrational attachment, just like how I'll remain reticent on Rubio until I see him do something besides a behind-the-back pass against a bunch of Spanish dopes. Who knows how it'll play out over the long haul, but for the moment I'm happy that Flynn is getting a chance to put that smile and charisma to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment